David served his apprenticeship with British Aerospace and he went on to run the firm’s Radiographic Department, holding Air Ministry Approvals for the radiography of airframes and undertaking the radiographic inspection of military aircraft, namely the Vulcan and Gnat aircraft. He has also worked as a Quality Control Engineer supervising a sub-contract NDT team at an on-shore oil rig fabrication yard and pipe mill at Nigg Bay.
In 1977, David joined National Vulcan as an Engineer Surveyor and ran a district in the Midlands, undertaking the Statutory examinations of Lift & Crane Plant, inspections of machinery and construction plants, and claims investigations. In 1989, he was invited to joined the Head Office Claims Department as a specialist engineer dealing with all types of plant and machinery claims. Since 1998, he has been working as a specialist involved in Major Loss and claims investigations throughout the UK and Europe.
- Steam turbine failure: Ballylumford Power Station
- Expert witness for Solicitors regarding major fire loss destroying wood working process machinery at (Circa GBP 1.2 Million)
- Flood damaged textile process and printing machines Carlisle (Circa GBP 2.3 Million)
- Domestic waste recycling process plant and machinery (GBP 975 K)
- Quayside Cranes and Straddle Carriers at Aberdeen, Belfast, Bilbao, Hull, and Liverpool
- 1000MVA 400/275KV Transformer at Glasgow repair costs (GBP 1 Million)
- Numerous large Excavator and mobile cranes losses throughout the UK, Norway, and Germany.
- Numerous large gas engines utilised in power generation & large diesel engines for marine and industrial use