Originally from the North East Derek began his career in the private security industry which included undertaking surveillance and statement taking on suspected insurance fraud cases both personal injury and motor.
Derek relocated to the North West in 1996 and began his career at Quest Gates as an adjuster working on EL/PL and motor claims to include that for the MIB. He progressed to become their Motor Claims Manager when they opened their offices in Bolton.
In 2004, Derek joined SLS (Crawford & Company)as an Senior Loss Adjuster adjuster dealing largely with a EL/PL portfolio. He progressed to become Branch Manager in 2010 of their Stockport and thereafter Manchester casualty team.
He has led many client accounts throughout his career, notably drinks logistics and holiday/travel companies. He also had a client facing role with SLS and was their client relations manager for several insurers.
- Dealt with claim for well know drinks manufacturer where a delivery driver was seriously injury when delivering beer kegs suffering a major head injury resulting in epilepsy.
- Fatality for a steel manufacturer where a workman suffered fatal injuries when a FLT he was driving overturned.
- Fatality. Logistics company. Driver fatally injured when struck by insecure load when unloading vehicle.
- Construction company. Plant operator fatality injured when he became trapped in excavator.
- Waste processing company. Worker suffered life changing injury when his hand was trapped in moving machinery.
- Manufacturing company. Employee was injured during first aid training, and developed Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome in hand.
- Acted for a holiday tour company when presented with a group action claim for food poisoning.