Gerrit began his career in Engineering Consultancy until he started as an adjuster with Robins in 1986, the later GAB Robins, handling claims in the Netherlands and abroad. In 1993 Gerrit was one of the founders of Vanderwal & Partners, which is now Vanderwal & Joosten (VWJ), a renowned name in the local insurance market for major and complex losses with a technical or engineering aspect. Since 2002 Gerrit is CEO of VWJ, still spending at least 70% of his time handling losses.
During his career, Gerrit has gained broad experience in Civil and Structural Engineering issues and claims, with a strong focus on major and complex loss, earning him a vast group of clients from both the Dutch and International Insurance Market, to include Courts and Government Committees. Gerrit is a regular speaker on numerous seminars and market meetings, broadening his audiences’ knowledge about specific Engineering problems.
Furthermore, Gerrit was board member of the Executive Board of the Dutch Institute of Register Experts from 2010 to 2019.
- Crane collapse in residential area (USD 20 Million)
- Bearing issue in major lift bridge (USD 16 Million)
- Crane collapse while hoisting bridge deck (USD 6 Million)
- Damaged farmland due to drainage issue (USD 1.75 Million)
- Subsidence of civil constructions (USD 1.5 Million)
- Quality issues with underwater concrete (USD 1 Million)
- Cracks in boulevard pavement (USD 1.5 Million)
- Horizontal Directional Drilling, hole collapse (USD 2.8 Million)
- Soil remediation project: subsidence in residential area (USD 1.2 Million)