As a civil engineer with a post graduate degree in Seismic Engineering Design, Maria Vergara comes to McLarens with over five years of experience in the forensic engineering, structural engineering, and insurance industries. She has provided consultative services, performed visual inspections, root cause analysis, remedial engineering design, and cost estimation of insurance claims associated with complex structural failures of residential, educational, and hospitality properties across the Caribbean, and North and South America, affected by natural catastrophes and/or design deficiencies.
As a structural engineer, Maria has also carried out the structural design and analysis of reinforced and post-tensioned concrete buildings and steel structures of projects with different uses such as residential, parking, commercial, hospitality, and gaming, across the U.S. In addition, she has performed seismic analysis and design of reinforced and post-tensioned concrete buildings and bridges located in medium seismic hazard zones of Colombia.
Maria has been part of the engineering team for iconic projects such as The Guitar Hotel in Florida and the largest intercity bridge in Colombia. Professionally, one of her proudest achievements was the production of 3D finite element models, which were used as a design tool to perform the analysis and design of the vertical and horizontal resistance system of new and existing structures under the effect of seismic and wind loads.
- Food Company, Honduras: Hurricane (USD 27 Million)
- Department of Education, Puerto Rico: Earthquake (USD 17 Million)
- Highway Construction, Jamaica: Commercial Liability (USD 4 Million)
- Power management Company: Vandalism (USD 2 Million)
- Steel fabricator, Dominican Republic: Marine & Cargo (USD 1 Million)
- Department of Natural Resources and National Parks, Puerto Rico: Earthquake (USD 800K)
- Beach resort community, Puerto Rico: Hurricane (USD 600K)
- Aquarium, Curacao: Shark Attack (500K)
- Residential Property, USVI: Commercial Liability (USD 229K)